Providing the uninterrupted access of people with physical disability to the drugstore premises: installation of a call-button
When obtaining a license for a pharmacy/drugstore, the applicant shall meet the following conditions:
- Ensure that the premises of the future pharmacy/drugstore meet the license requirements;
- Ensure the pharmacy staff compliance with license requirements;
- Ensure easy access to pharmacy for people with limited mobility (e.g. people with disabilities).
Today we will elaborate on the issues of making your pharmacy accessible for these categories of people.
This requirement can be easily met by installing a ramp, if it the construction and location of the premises allow for this. You can find all the necessary information about the ramp installation here.
However, it is often impossible to install the ramp in accordance with the State Building Codes of Ukraine. In this case, it is necessary to follow the provisions of the Law of Ukraine “On the Fundamentals of Social Protection of Persons with Disabilities in Ukraine”, which envisage that if it is impossible to adapt the existing premises for the needs of persons with disabilities, “reasonable accommodation” shall be provided. By the way, the issue of reasonable accommodation must be coordinated with the public organizations of disabled people.
In practice, the example of reasonable accommodation is usually the staff call button.
Installing the pharmacy staff call button
- Before installing the necessary staff call button, it is necessary to confirm the impossibility of a ramp installation. This shall be confirmed by the conclusion of a certified expert, who has the appropriate authority to do so. The list of all experts included in the State Unified Register of persons authorized to carry out related activities is available on the website of the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine.
- After receiving the expert’s conclusion, it is necessary to obtain permission of the corresponding local council for installing the call button.
- The last stage prior to the call button installation involves obtainment of the approval from representatives of public organizations of disabled persons.
Thus, in addition to the requirements for the premises where the pharmacy will be located and for the staff who will work in the pharmacy, the licensee must also make its pharmacy accessible for the disabled persons and persons with limited mobility.
The issue of the “ramp or button” is solved in accordance with the requirements of the law: if the State Building Codes of Ukraine allow for the ramp installation, it must be installed. Otherwise, you need to install a staff call button.
Our firm provides services for licencing of drugstores/pharmacies. If you intend to set up a pharmacy/drugstore in Kyiv and Kyiv region, we can also provide you with assistance in preparing all the necessary documents and obtaining the required permits to make your pharmacy accessible for persons with disabilities.
We are ready to help you!
Contact us by mail [email protected].com, by phone number +38 044 499 47 99or by filling out the form: